Recipe - Vegan Scones in 20 minutes!

Vegan Scones ready for breakfast in 20 minutes!

« Scones », Those delicious bread cakes from my childhood. My Mom used to make them so often.


Dairy Free Vegan Scones 

With dried fruit or with different types of flour, to be honest any new ingredient was a great excuse to make another batch of Scones. 
Now you can make them too in only 20 minutes! No, you are not dreaming, yes it's possible.
I don't know if it's because I heading back to Dublin for the weekend, but this morning, I got up with the most irresistible craving for Scones! So I decided to take a break in preparing my suitcase and make some scones for breakfast and share the recipe so that you can make them too.
I'll be back to work on the layout when I get back. 🙂
The ingredients :
480g Organic flour + a small amount for the worktop.
70g Organic sugar.
75g Vegan Margarine ( I used Fruit d’Or)
240ml Cold plant-based milk (I used almond milk by Bjorg) + an extra few ml to baste the scones!
1 packet of instant dry yeast if you are not using self-raising flour
A pinch of salt ( I use pink salt from the Himalaya)



Ingredients

What you need :
An oven ! 🙂
A baking tray (I used the drip tray)
Baking parchment
A pastry brush (I used my fingers, I know you shouldn't but couldn't find the pastry brush! (The joys of moving home)  :-))
Round cookie cutters (or a drinking glass upside down )
A large bowl
A rolling pin (or your fingers)
My method:
Preheat the oven to 200° C
Cover the tray with baking parchment. If you don't have any, you can just baste the tray with margarine and flour to avoid the scones sticking. 
Using the large bowl, add the flour, the sugar, the instant yeast and the salt. Mix well together. 
Add the margarine with your fingers until it looks like sand. 
It is very important no the work the dough too much to avoid heating it. 
Add the cold milk slowly mixing as you go until you make a round dough that doesn't stick to your fingers.
Flour your work surface, knead the dough and flatten it out with your fingers. Roll out the dough. or flatten it with your fingers for a more uneven effect. 


Vegan Scones Dough

Use a cookie cutter or a drinking glass upside down to cut out your shapes. You can either cut the rest of the dough into triangles or put the leftover dough together and roll it out again to make more round shapes. Avoid rolling and rerolling out leftover dough as the scones will be flatter than the first batch.
Place the scones on your tray and baste them with some milk.


Before going into the oven

Place your tray in the center of your oven and cook for 10 to 12 minutes depending on your oven. Cook until golden.
Take the scones out of the oven, use a tea-towel to test one by "knocking" on the underneath side. If it gives a hollow sound, then they are cooked!
Now, all you need to do is to make yourself a cup of tea or coffee and enjoy your homemade vegan scones with some jam !
Enjoy my friends !


Bon dégustation

I look forward to reading your comments. What is your favourite jam with scones? What flour did you use? If you tried a different milk or a gluten-free recipe? You could also inspire others to test different versions too. 
Have fun!

Additional recipe 18 march 2018.
Hi everyone!
Today, I made my scones recipe again with a new twis. Yesterday we celebrated St Patricks day and I was going around looking for Green, white and yellow ingredients everywhere! :-) That's when I had the idea to make scones flavored with orange and Angelique that I already had in the kitchen.
Angélique is quite a special plante in the Deux Sèvres region. You can find out more about this plant here l’association de promotion de l’angélique de Niort-Marais Poitevin. The one that I have comes from ETS Thonnard.
Scones à l'orange et à l'angélique
Make up the usual recipe and before adding the margarine, add the zest of one orange. Prepare your dough as usual and before rolling out the dough add the candied Aneglique sticks that you have already cut into small cubes. 
Cut out your scones as usual and place them on the cooking tray. There is no change to the cooking time. 

Delicious scones, perfect for tea-time.

There you go! Don't know why I didn't think of it before. Hope you enjoy this new recipe. Let me know what you think in the comments below, looking forward to reading about your different recipes too.
Bon appétit my friends!

Comments

Popular Posts